Losing Weight with FoodGauge
FoodGauge is a revolutionary food rating system that helps you make food choices to assist in weight loss. This 5-point system simplifies food labels and nutrition. It was developed by Robert Ziltzer, MD and Craig Primack, MD to help their patients track their weight loss efforts and gain accountability throughout the weight loss process.
FoodGauge favors food with protein and fiber, and disfavors food with carbohydrates and fat.
Using FoodGauge for Weight Loss
Always consult with your physician prior to and during any weight loss program. Your doctor will advise you of any special considerations you have, and which medications you will need to have adjusted during weight loss.
FoodGauge will interpret the nutritional values of foods based on certain criteria. It does not replace the experience of your obesity medicine doctor.
Here are some basic guidelines to follow as you use the FoodGauge to adopt a healthier diet:
- Drink 64 oz of non-caloric or diet beverages daily. Water is best. Do not drink more than a gallon daily without discussing with your physician.
- Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits, to provide the nutrients you need. Vary the types of foods you eat.
- Choose as many as possible foods that are FoodGauge score of 4 and 5.
- Eat 5 small meals daily, best taken every 3 hours. Always eat breakfast.
- Adequate sleep is critical, 7 hours minimum.
- Take a multivitamin daily, to assure you are getting all of the vitamins and minerals you need.
- Begin a regular exercise program such as walking on a treadmill, using an elliptical machine, biking, swimming, dancing, or lifting weights. Start out with 5-10 minutes of activity daily and increase by 2 minutes each day. Aim for 45 minutes daily, at least 5 days per week.
The FoodGauge app can help you track behavior and develop healthier lifestyle habits to encourage weight loss success. A combination of proper food plan, regular exercise and proper sleep is the best way to lose weight.
Always call your doctor immediately or call 911 if you experience chest pain, shortness of breath, light headedness or palpitations at any time.
Interpreting FoodGauge Results
FoodGauge is a very straightforward application. Enter the nutrition label information into the calculator – fat, carbohydrates, fiber and protein in grams per serving for the serving sizes you plan to eat. Once you have entered all of the fields, press “calculate” and FoodGauge gives you the food’s numerical score at the bottom of the screen.
FoodGauge: Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some of the most common questions we get about the FoodGauge application
Why did you develop FoodGauge?
Trying to figure out if a food is going to cause weight loss or weight gain by reading a nutrition label is confusing. We made it simple! A single score tells you what you need to know. It is available for iPhone and iTouch through iTunes or direct download, and Blackberry through App World.
FoodGauge Press Kit (PDF)
FoodGauge is a revolutionary Apple iPhone and iPod Touch application developed to help you make healthier
eating choices by analyzing the types of foods that you are putting into your body.
FoodGauge assists in your weight loss efforts by using a five point rating system that simplifies food labels and nutrition for the average person.