5 Tips To Cut 500 Calories Per DayPosted: September 20, 2009 in Healthy Eating by Craig Primack MD FACP
Did you know that one pound equals 3,500 calories? This means that cutting just 500 calories out from your daily intake of food can help you lose weight. If you can do that, you will be able to safely lose a pound a week. Here are some great ideas for how to make that happen:
- If you are a soda lover or drink a lot of juice, you are adding empty calories to your diet on a regular basis.Take a look at how many calories are in what you are drinking. If you have four cans of soda per day, you can eliminate more than 500 calories just by substituting water.
- Take your regular diet and eliminate 150 calories from each meal and 50 calories from one snack. This means smaller portions overall.
- Track your eating habits with a food log. Find some places where you can cut back on snacks.
- Pay attention to what you eat in front of the television. Many people can cut 500 calories easy by passing on those snacks in front of the tube.
- Calorie count and plan. If you get good at knowing how many calories are in certain foods, it becomes much easier to plan to eat a particular amount. Look at what you are eating now, and do the numbers–where can you cut back? Are you eating some high calorie foods that could be substituted with a lower calorie option?