6 Ways to Get Motivated for Weight LossPosted: January 2, 2010 in Lifestyle by Craig Primack MD FACP
Weight loss that lasts is a long journey. You need to be in the right frame of mind to get started and have plenty of motivation to keep going. Find out what steps you can take to get physically and mentally prepared for losing weight.
6 Ways to Get Motivated for Weight Loss
1. Commit. The very first step toward losing weight is to make a commitment to yourself. The next step is to share that commitment with someone else, which will help keep you accountable for your goals.
2. Don’t wait for the “right time.” We’ve all promised to start dieting on Monday, or after the holidays, or when we get back from vacation. Once you’ve decided you want to lose weight, the best time to start is now.
3. Focus on small changes. It can be overwhelming to think of never having your favorite dessert again or drastically changing all of your behaviors. Think smaller. Small, consistent changes will bring results over time.
4. Be realistic. Consider your lifestyle, schedule, and personality. Focus on making healthy changes that fit within your life. For example, if you go out to dinner a lot with friends, concentrate on learning how to eat healthy in restaurants instead of promising you’ll make homemade meals.
5. Find your motivators. Think about what will keep you focused when you feel like giving up on your goal. Will you be motivated by a diet buddy? Will working toward a reward, like a special gift to yourself, get you up early for workouts?
6. Think lifestyle, not diet. Remember that being “on a diet” implies that you can go “off your diet” at some point. Weight loss and long-term weight management are about making permanent changes to the way you live your life.
If you start to get overwhelmed or discouraged, remember that you’re working toward permanent weight loss results.